Here is how a thoughtful, polished intake process can benefit your practice:
- Distinguishes you from the competition.
- Allows an opportunity to exceed your patient’s expectations right from the start.
- Provides a kick-start to the patient relationship.
- Creates another point of positive interaction in the patient experience.
So how does your patient intake process work? Take some time to think it through. What does a patient experience when entering through your practice’s doors? Here is a checklist to help you evaluate what you are currently doing and guide you in developing a more polished intake process:
Front Office Appearance
- Comfortable seating
- Bright lighting
- Room temperature
- Coat rack
- Food & beverages
- Soft music
- Greet every patient by name
- Interact on a personal level
- Engage in friendly conversation
- Well explained – “Why am I doing this?”
- Easy to follow
- Assistance offered
- Help start the process
- Appropriate reading materials
- Video education
- ALD display case
Speed of Care
- Keep hearing healthcare professionals on schedule
- Notify hearing healthcare professional of patient arrival
- Keep patient informed. Provide alternatives.
Overall, focus on the emotions you want the patient to have. The bottom line is still about the patient – not your process.