Over the past few weeks I have assisted with many a pairing of ReSound LiNX hearing aids to smart devices. It has been amazing to hear the excitement from the patients when they begin streaming to their hearing aids! This pairing process is simple but there are a few key steps to follow to ensure the preservation of a solid connection between your patient’s ReSound LiNX hearing aids and smart device.
Pairing of your patient’s ReSound LiNX hearing aids and smart device is completed outside of the Aventa 3.6 software. Before starting the pairing process, complete your fitting and any fine-tuning adjustments of the hearing aids then save the settings to the ReSound LiNX hearing aids and exit Aventa 3.6.
Pairing the hearing aids to a supported Apple device
1. Turn on Bluetooth functionality on the Apple device if it is not already on.
2. Go to the Settings > General menu. Then select Accessibility in the General menu.
4. Select Hearing Aids in the Accessibility menu on the Apple device.
5. Once you enter the Hearing Aids screen, you will see the name of your hearing instruments appear along with the ReSound brand name and model number.
7. Pairing requests will now appear asking if you would like to pair to your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®. Press “Pair” to begin the pairing process to your ReSound LiNX hearing instruments. Note that for pairing to two hearing instruments, there will be two separate pairing requests.
Key note: This first time pairing includes an MFi authentication process. WHILE THIS PROCESS OF AUTHENTICATION IS OCCURRING, DO NOT START ANY STREAMING TO RESOUND LINX AFTER PRESSING THE PAIRING REQUESTS. You can verify this process is completed in one of two ways. :
- Place the hearing instrument on your ears while the process is occurring. Once completed, you will hear a series of 6 been tones followed shortly by a ripple tone.
- Wait for more than 60 seconds to be certain that the process has completed.
Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will now detect the Resound LiNX hearing instruments you paired and automatically connect to them. The ReSound LiNX hearing aids are now ready to stream from the Apple device.
A few key things I found helpful:
- I like to turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on before beginning the connection process
- The authentication process may take up to 90 seconds. An interruption of the authentication process can result in intermittency of the connection as well as poor sound quality of streaming so it is very important to not begin streaming to the hearing aids until the indicator tones and trill have been heard in both hearing aids.
- Remember that when your patient returns for adjustments, select ‘Instrument’ and ‘Read’ in the Aventa 3.6 software before making any adjustments to the hearing aids. See my TeleAssist Tip in last month’s issue for more information.