Make World Environment Day Your Own
June 5 was World Environment Day, a day dedicated to protecting our planet (organized by the United Nations Environment programme). Growing awareness is making more and more of us think about carbon footprint, our use of and sources of clean water, among many other topics.
Did you know you create a hearing environment for the people around you? If you were a teacher, for instance, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) recommends these steps for creating a good listening for students:
- Turn off noisy equipment when it is not in use.
- Hang window treatments such as curtains or blinds.
- Hang soft materials such as felt or corkboard on the walls.
- Place tables at an angle around the room to interfere with the pathways of sound.
- Speak clearly and at a normal or slightly slower pace
- Position yourself so your conversation partner can see your face
- Eliminate background noise if possible
- Ask if your communication is effective
Use this week to help care for our environment and the hearing environment for those around you. See Gael Hannan’s full list for more tips on creating better listening environments.