ReSound’s Lisa Sjolander, Au.D. and Lotte Hernvig, M.A. gave a recent presentation about the benefits of Binaural Fusion found in the ReSound VersoTM family of products at the 2013 AudiologyNOW! conference. Let’s review Binaural Fusion.
What is ReSound Binaural Fusion?
Binaural Fusion compares data from two hearing instruments via device-to-device communication in order to provide the brain with the most accurate sound picture possible. This allows people with hearing instruments to make instantaneous, instinctive decisions about which sounds to focus on and what to ignore.
How does it work?
ReSound’s 2.4 GHz wireless technology coordinates the microphone modes between both hearing instruments for an optimal binaural response. The bilateral comparison of information – speech and noise data – steers the directional technology to make the most appropriate binaural decision.
What are the benefits of Binaural Fusion?
- Transition time between Omni and Directional is gradual.
- Allows for a seamless listening experience.
- Prevents switching due to instantaneous sound events in the environment.
- Prevents perceptual changes in sound quality.
- Incorporates band-split directionality for its directional conditions and synchronized time constants for the low frequency omnidirectional processing.
- Improves overall sound quality of the directional program while restoring audibility for low frequency sounds.